StadiumPosts Logo
Stay upto date with notifications from Stadiumposts
Notifications can be managed in browser preferences

"NOT A PENALTY": FORMER KEEPER ROB GREEN DEFENDS REFEREE AFTER BOWEN ANKLE CLIP CONTROVERSY

West Ham's survival fight gets tougher: Discover why the 95th-minute penalty was denied and analyse Nuno's tactical mistakes.

"Not a Penalty": Former keeper Rob Green defends referee after Bowen ankle clip controversy
West Ham denied a penalty in a 0-0 draw against Bournemouth

Sam Barrott made the right call when he didn’t give West Ham a penalty against Bournemouth on Saturday.

The match at London Stadium, yeah, that one on February 21 got really tense in the 95th minute. Jarrod Bowen had a chance, set up by Crysencio Summerville, but sent his shot wide. Right after, Adrien Truffert clipped Bowen on the ankle. The thing is, by the time Truffert actually made contact, Bowen had already taken his shot.

Rob Green, who used to be West Ham’s goalkeeper, didn’t think it was a penalty either. He pointed out that Truffert only put a bit of pressure on Bowen, nowhere near enough contact for a spot-kick.

Nuno Espirito Santo has a few things to answer for after that draw. This was a match West Ham really needed to win; if they’d gotten all three points, they would have caught up with Nottingham Forest, who sit in 17th.

Honestly, the game was pretty flat. Both teams seemed more interested in not making mistakes than actually attacking. Summerville and Taty Castellanos tried to make something happen, but in the end, the 0-0 draw felt inevitable.

During the match, Green said on BBC Radio 5 Live, “This was the chance West Ham was waiting for. Truffaert just put enough pressure on Bowen. I can’t see how it is a penalty. It was enough pressure without there being enough contact.” Hard to argue with that.

A lot of West Ham fans are probably frustrated with Nuno’s choices. He waited until the 72nd minute to bring on Callum Wilson and only swapped Mohamadou Kante for Soungoutou Magassa late on. Adama Traore stayed on the bench, which surprised plenty of people.

Now, after dropping two points at home, West Ham fans are right to worry a bit. The schedule doesn’t get any easier. Next up, they go to Anfield to face Liverpool. Then it’s a trip to Craven Cottage to play Fulham. After the FA Cup, they’re up against Manchester City and Aston Villa. It’s tough to see where the wins are coming from.

With just 11 games left, those two points they missed out on could end up making a huge difference in the fight to stay up.

BREAKING REPORT: CAPTAIN MICKY VAN DE VEN SLAMS "EXPOSED" TACTICS AFTER TUDOR’S DEBUT LOSS

North London is Red! Discover why Micky van de Ven believes Spurs' high-risk tactics failed against a clinical Arsenal side.

top-news
Igor Tudor played a dangerous game, and Arsenal made him pay for it

Tottenham captain Micky van de Ven didn’t hold back after Spurs got hammered 4-1 at home by Arsenal. He admitted they took a big risk, and it blew up in their faces.

It was Igor Tudor’s first match in charge, but Spurs looked second best all afternoon. Arsenal showed why they’re top of the league, pulling five points clear by the end.

Eberechi Eze put Arsenal ahead just after the half-hour, but Spurs hit back almost instantly. Randal Kolo Muani pounced on a mistake from Declan Rice and levelled it up just 24 seconds later.

At halftime, it was still anyone’s game. Then Arsenal just took over. Viktor Gyokeres bagged a quick brace, with Eze adding another in between. Spurs couldn’t keep up.

After the match, Van de Ven didn’t sugarcoat it. He said Arsenal deserved the win. Spurs tried going man-to-man with their marking, hoping to press high, but it backfired. Kolo Muani lost track of Eze for the first goal, and Joao Palhinha got beaten to the ball by Gyokeres right after halftime.

“Arsenal was the better team,” Van de Ven said. “At 1-1, we were still in it, but once they scored right after halftime, it got really tough. We could have pressed better. We went high, but Arsenal just played through us. That’s something we have to fix. When you go man for man, if even one guy is late, you’re exposed. You win the ball high; you get chances, but if you miss, you’re wide open. That’s the risk.”

Spurs still haven’t won a league game in 2026 and now sit in 16th, only four points clear of the relegation zone.

Even so, Tudor says he believes they’ll stay up. He knows the job’s huge, but he’s not backing down.

“Yeah, I’m confident we’ll stay up,” Tudor said. “Tough game, bad result. They beat us, and we have to learn from it. We get back to work on Tuesday harder than before. We have to improve everything, every part of our football. There’s a lot to do.”

GLASNER RESPONDS: MANAGER DENIES DISRESPECTING FANS AFTER "GLASNER FINISHED" BANNERS APPEAR AT SELHURST

Oliver Glasner speaks out! Discover why Palace fans held "Finished" banners and how the manager responded after the Wolves win.

top-news
Palace secure first home win since November amidst toxic fan protests

Oliver Glasner insists he didn’t disrespect Crystal Palace fans, even after they held up a banner that read "Fans disrespected – Glasner finished” during the 1-0 win over Wolves at Selhurst Park.

The supporters also unfurled another banner, “Opportunities missed, board inept", making it clear they were upset after Glasner told fans to “be humble” when some turned on him during Thursday’s Conference League match against Zrinjski Mostar.

“There were a few boos, and there was a banner. That’s fine. I’ll always speak my mind and say what I believe. I don’t think I ever disrespected anyone,” Glasner said. “People who know me know I’ve got huge respect for everyone; it doesn't matter who they are, what their job is, their background, or anything.”

He gets why the fans are disappointed. He’s frustrated, too. Maybe even more than anyone else, he says, because he’s so ambitious and never satisfied. Glasner admits he might have pushed the players too hard, and he’s willing to take criticism for it.

“That’s fine. What matters is the fans supported the team; they helped us win,” he said. “If they feel disrespected, I’m sorry. I never meant it that way. Maybe I used the wrong words. But I won’t stop saying what I think is right. I tell my own kids all the time: stay humble, and remember where you come from. If anyone felt disrespected, I’m truly sorry. That’s never my intention.”

Glasner also said he’s had clear-the-air talks with the club’s board and that both the hierarchy and the players still back him to lead until the end of the season.

“If the club thinks someone else would get better results, I wouldn’t stand in the way. "That's what I wanted to say,” he explained. “If the players think a different manager would help them do better, I won’t stand in the way. In the end, it’s up to the players. But when I spoke to them, they said they’ve had the best two years of their careers, and they still believe in what we’re doing.

“The club feels the same. If they’d said, ‘We’re not convinced,’ then maybe it’d be time for a change. But that’s not the case. The club believes, the players believe. And of course, I always believe in this team.”

Crystal Palace finally picked up a Premier League home win, a first since November, and there’s some much-needed positivity. But let’s be honest, the banners at Selhurst Park showed that Glasner still has a long way to go to fix things with the fans.

That “fans disrespected – Glasner finished” banner said it all. The frustration is real, especially after Glasner told them to "be humble" following the backlash in Bosnia. He tried to clear the air after Sunday’s game, and while he apologised, his main point was that he doesn’t think he did anything wrong. He didn’t really back down.

Palace got the win, thanks to Evann Guessand’s late goal, but after a shaky performance and another tense press conference, it feels like this standoff between Glasner and the fans is far from over.

Premier League Standings

WhatsApp Read More News